Tuesday, December 21, 2004

pictures in letters

I was going over treasure chest of memories last Friday. I have this big old chest inside my closet where I keep some of my old memorabilia, letters, old journals, pictures..things that I keep, a reminder of some past event...postcards, bus tickets, plane tickets and yes, even old r.eciepts (the sentimental side of me). But what I treasure the most amongst these "old junk" are my letters. Yes, letters. I have dozens of it, 8 year old letters, thank you notes, notes of appreciation. Letters from friends, from colleagues, classmates, friends and yes some from past girlfriends (maybe one or two).

I went over some of them, reading and rereading. It's like going back to the good old days, a trip down memory lane, As I read each one, I am taken back to the past, like riding on a time machine I am taken back to past events..places, restuarants..dinner. Suddenly, I hear laughter, I hear the voices...faces begin to flash inside my mind as I read the letters. Words of love and affection, words of assurance, of friendship and yes even of sorrow begin to pour over as I am awashed with waves of emotions. I remember each face, some gone, but some still part of my present. Some new and part of my future. I remember the conversations, the joy and the tears...of hugs, hello's and goodbye's. I remember the taste of the past, the sweet and the bitter, the sour taste of relationships gone wrong, the sweetnest and pleasure of starting anew. I was stopped suddenly by something warm flowing from my face, there were tears in my eyes. I paused for awhile to savor the moment, then I carefully placed back each one inside the box, as one places delicate crystal back to it's case. I will be visited once again by friends...who knows as I read those letters again...one day. For now, it's a hello and goodbye. Thanks for the memories.

No comments: