Wednesday, December 06, 2006

I owe my life to a Jew

Christmas is just around the corner. I'm quite frizzled a bit since I haven't even started my shopping yet. So much to do, so little time. I haven't even bought myself a shiny new iPod or cellphone yet! What about clothes?? I need new clothes for the holidays you know, a new shirt, pants, maybe a new pair of sneakers to keep my toes cozy warm. But of course there's that longer than the Bataan death march line to the cashier, I have to put up with that! And what is wrong with these cab drivers?? Asking for something extra in addition to what the meter charges, sheesh. So many problems, so many things that irritate me.

Christmas...it got me really thinking. Is this really all about me? Is this really all about shopping, new cellphones, iPods etc.. Like some kind of crazed maniac, everybody is going around without really even thinking why we're even celebrating. All this songs about Santa Clause, red nose raindeers...I mean, is this really what Christmas is all about?

And then I remember. I remember the reason for all of this. That thousands of years ago, a Jew was born. Yes, a Jew...born of simple parents, on a nondescript town... sent to change the world, sent to change your life and mine. Born so that you and I can have life and to have it abundantly, born so that you and I can be saved. Behind this hoopla, this foolish shopping orgy thats going on, I try to remember what this season really is all about. No, I think I'm gonna skip on that black iPod video I've been drooling to for months, no I don't care if I don't get the latest Nokia, I think I'm gonna try to save my money for the rainy days...maybe I'll buy some lechong manok and give it to that family that lives in that kariton. Better yet, I'm going to give remember with gratefulness, how my life has changed because of a Jew. I owe him that much. I owe my life to a Jew.

No comments: