Thursday, December 21, 2006

on call centers

Contact Centers or callcenters are all the rage as of now. Companies have sprung up from nowhere (I'm waiting for someone to start a Bangladeshi or Tibetan call center here in the Philippines). Now with all this in mind. I'm a bit upset when someone tries to generalize everyone working in a "Call Center", seemingly a lot of people have this preconcieve idea that all you need to have in terms of skill in order to get hired is to be proficient in the English language, that most people who work in the industry are either highschool grads and don't require a degree to get hired. Although this is true in some cases (not to offend our neighbor upstairs hehe) not all companies are like this. I guess the major reason I am writing this, is to defend not only the industry from generalizations and preconcieve ideas but also to let people know that most of us who work in this industry are as educated and as skillful as our other counterparts in other industries. Some of the people that I work with have degrees in software engineering, programming, computer science, marketing...among others. Outsourcing, contact centers, no matter how you call it, requires skill, requires education and requires professionalism. I think I rest my case, need to go back to work.

No comments: